Thursday, September 12, 2013

Foodie Friday--September 12, 2013



Welcome to Foodie Friday, where great food is always on the menu.
I've been battling tick bites and West Nile Virus, and Dr. House has put me on bed rest. Hopefully I'll
be on my feet soon. Until then, I'm sharing an old-but-cheerful tablescape.











Menu

Orange-Roasted Chicken (cooked over a mirepoix)
Asparagus Tart
Sliced Tomatoes drizzled with low-carb honey dijon dressing
Low-Carb Finger sandwiches
Guilt-free angel food cake
Orange slices
coffee ~ sugar free iced tea
 
 
Rattlebridge Farm Asparagus Tart
                                              serves 4 to 6

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 c grated cheese
1 bunch asparagus, washed and trimmed
egg wash

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle flour over a sheet of waxed paper. Place thawed pastry onto the sheet and gently roll the pastry into a square. Pierce the bottom with a fork and place into a tart pan or baking dish. Brush egg wash over edge of pastry. Spread cheese over bottom of dough. Arrange asparagus spears over the cheese in a wagon wheel pattern (or place them in a linear shape--cut the asparagus to fit the shape of your pan). Bake 18 to 20 minutes.




Rattlebridge Farm's Guilt-Free Cake
                                                                     serves 6

1 "no sugar added" angle food cake (grocery store)
1 carton sugar free cool whip
fruit

"Ice" the cake with Cool Whip and garnish.
Yep, it's that easy. I used oranges because my husband was craving them. In the past, I've garnished angel food and pound cakes with fresh flowers HERE and HERE. Just place a small juice glass in the center of the cake. Add water and a bouquet. I've also cut the cakes in half and spread the surface with sugar-free pudding and sliced fruit.


 

Resources:
Hand-painted Italian pottery salad plates
Flatware and chargers: Horchow
Organdy napkin liners, tablecloth, and white pottery: Amazon

Note:
White, mismatched dishes can be bought all at once (see the Gollum Dishes,) or collected over time. Many dishaholics like myself do both! You can buy one large set of dishes and add pieces that you find at tag sales, etc. I found an inexpensive, gorgeous set of white Clairmont dishes in 2009 at Big Lots. They may still be available at Amazon.

For another look at mixing and matching dishes, check out "Dinner for Eight," or What to Do When Nothing Matches.
 







 
If you are participating in Foodie Friday, please take a moment to read the guidelines.
To add a link to your post, locate the blue Inlinkz icon in the lower, left-hand portion of this post. Click on the icon and follow the directions. After you complete the process, you will see a red "x"
beside your name. This allows you to delete your link if you made an error; the red "x" is visible to you only.

For a complete guide to this linky party, click HERE. If you have still have questions, click HERE
for a detailed Foodie Friday tutorial. Rattlebridge Farm reserves the right to delete any entry
that is inappropriate or violates the guidelines.

** By adding your link to Foodie Friday, you are granting us permission to include a photo of your FF recipe in a feature story. Submissions that lack a backlink will not be promoted on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, or "Picks of the Week."

**No linky parties or promotion of linky parties.

**If you are visiting from Pinterest, please do not pin the thumbnails in the linky area from my blog. These images belong to other bloggers. Visit the participating blogs for pinning inspiration.

**It's okay to promote a giveaway or an Etsy project if it's food-related (aprons, dinnerware, tabletop items, cupcake boxes, goodie bags, etc.)


** Would you like to add your recipes to the "Consuming Passions" group board at Pinterest?
It can be found HERE. We're a small, sociable group; Foodie Friday folks are always welcome to "pin" with us and chat about food. Just leave a comment on one of my recent"pins," so I'll be sure to see it, and I will send you an invitation. Or you can email me.

 Thanks for visitin'!
 
Here's the Inlinkz link:

39 comments:

  1. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

    Dear Michael,
    Your table setting is beautiful. I love the oranges and hints of Fall. Feels like you're celebrating the end-of-Summer, and I love that!
    Thank you for hosting another inspirational link party.
    Have a beautiful weekend,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,
    My goodness, I am so sorry about you having West Nile, we have had several cases of that near here, glad your husband has you taking care of yourself. Hope you recover very soon! Your beautiful photo's always make me feel better!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your orange is just gorgeous in this photography. I have trouble with some colors like yellow and hot pink. Your asparagus tart is also stunning! Thank you for hosting!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orange is not a color I love, but your setting is so lovely I may have to reconsider.

    I had to read twice that "Dr. House" ordered bed rest. You are so funny even when not feeling well. Hope you are better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, Michael Lee, I hope you recover quickly from the West Nile virus and the tick bites. Thank goodness that you have your very own doctor to watch over you. Hugs and kisses sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, gosh, Michael, I'm so sorry you've been on bedrest due to West Nile. :-( Sending you healing hugs!

    As far as your post, per usual, it's amazing. An orange heaven! Beautiful, Michael! Love that asparagus tart, too. :-) I linked up Banana Ice Cream this week. Wonderful comfort food!

    Sending you more healing hugs, dear!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Michael - those orange sliced on the angel food cake scream EAT ME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am sorry to hear you have West Nile. Hope the House Doctor makes sure you get plenty of rest and takes good care of you. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    Your white plates go together so well. You have quite a flair for putting things together beautifully. Again, take good care of yourself and I hope you are better soon.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no, I was hoping you'd be feeling better now, so so sorry...you are so sweet to keep the party going, I can't imagine how frustrated you must be~I hope you are curled up reading AND writing lots of good books and eating some guilt free cake! Your white plates and bowls are stunning~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michael Lee, I hope you are listening to Dr. House and following those directions. We need you to get well!!!
    This is a pretty table and fabulous food. Love the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry about the West Nile. How awful! Wishing you a speedy recovery and thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tablecloth with the oranges match very well.
    The cake looks delicious with the oranges slices.

    Blessings,

    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is gorgeous. Please do take care of yourself and speedy recovery..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, that's awful! I hope you get better soon!!
    I absolutely LOVE making the asparagus cheese tart and that cake look to-die-for!
    Thank you for party and stay in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry you are sick, Michael....pls take good care and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling tip top. Bed rest is always good when you have another cook in the house to feed you with a lovely tray of food. Please tell Bandy to treat you well and watch out for Dr. House. I'm sure that your Dr. is much sweeter than the TV one. Have a healthy weekend.
    Ahrisha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry about the West Nile virus -- best wishes for a quick recovery! Beautiful tablescape -- very inspiring -- and thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Loving the colors and freshness of your tablescape. Your Guilt Free Angel Food Cake looks like a very special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. May you rest up and get to feeling so much better right away. Very sorry to hear that you are ill. God bless you and be well.
    d in kansas

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry you are not well, Michael! I do hope you feel better soon. Your tablescape is gorgeous, perfect for fall, and I love the guilt-free cake :-) This week I've shared my Butternut Pecan Loaf Cake, a delicious autumn cake with a not so secret healthy ingredient :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The table is beautiful! Thank you for hosting and wishing you a speedy recovery!!

    Marti
    http://sewlicioushomedecor.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am terrified of ticks this year!! I bought some cute garden boots and I wear them every time I work in the garden, thinking that the ticks won't be able to climb up them. Rest! Rest! Rest! And get better!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I posted another comment, but I wasn't logged in - so I'm not sure if it took or not! Get better. Get lots of rest! Try and read some good books!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I live in a tick mosquito area... it's just not fair that going out doors has to be so risky these day. You get well soon. Thank you for getting enough strength to do the party.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry to hear you're still under the weather and I hope Dr. House's bedside manner has improved from when I last saw him :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for hosting Michael. I hope you feel better soon!
    I love your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your tablescapes, place settings, flowers well just everything is gorgeous and I love your asparagus tart! As always, thank you for hosting such a wonderful party.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Honestly - your pictures just take my breath away. Thanks for hosting!
    ~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

    ReplyDelete
  29. Honestly - your photos take my breath away. Thanks for hosting!
    ~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

    ReplyDelete
  30. Michael,
    First of all I hope you recover from your illness very soon. I hear the West Nile virus can be pretty nasty. Thank you for sharing your "old but cheerful" post with us. To me it is all new. The plates, tablecloth, chargers, flowers and everything look lovely. I bookmarked the asparagus tart. I cannot wait to try it for Sunday Brunch. Oh heck, I think I'll make it tonight. Thank you for hosting the party.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Michael,
    I'm going to make your cake Thursday for our supper club. That asparagus tart, is the cutest idea for a tart. I should make that too. Thanks Doll!
    Oh crap I had to go make sure I spelled asparagus right.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's my first time at your party, glad to have found you! Your food looks stunning and your photography is amazing. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin

    ReplyDelete
  33. You give us so much joy with your writings, your recipes and your tablescapes. Please know that we are all wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm so glad you shared this gorgeous tablescape -- it's so cheery! I hope you'll be completely healed very soon!
    My link this week is Mediterranean Beef Roast in the Slow Cooker.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful photos --
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  35. That really bites, no pun intended! Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, please get well soon Michael. Everything looks gorgeous, fall is in the air ~ I the beautiful table setting, and the asparagus tart, AND that spectacular angel food cake! The colors just POP. Soo pretty!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a glorious intro to Autumn, ML!! I don't remember seeing this post before, so I'm glad your brought it back up. I have some tiny green stemmed compotes that match your beautiful water glasses perfectly! I also have those same white soup bowls. LOL

    I'm sending ~~healing prayers~~ so that you'll soon be feeling better & back to your usual busy schedule. In the meantime, continue to REST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh My Goodness - I truly hope you are doing well and quickly on the road to recovery..Please take care and take it slow - we do miss you !!

    ReplyDelete

There you are! I'm so glad you're here. Love, MLee xxoo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails