Thursday, August 1, 2013

Foodie Friday Plus the Mystery Ingredient Club # 1

 
So glad you stopped by this week's Foodie Friday. It's a special day at our house, and I hope it is at yours, too. The recipes are always enticing, and yet so different, you can plan weekly menus. Appetizers, soups, entrees, desserts, and in between, many joyful things and ideas.

This week, in addition to our regular FF, we're hosting a little game--think of it as CHOPPED meets "Where's Waldo." Last month,  I posted about the idea and several bloggers left encouraging comments.

So, how does the game work?
 
 I selected an ingredient--as it turned out, I selected three--and shipped them to ten bloggers. And they could cook whatever they liked for the August 1st Foodie Friday.


The items aren't sponsored, in case you might be wondering, so there's no product placement at all and no links to the products. I wish I could have shipped everyone the goodies, but I had to be mindful of my coffers! We just hope you have a great time figuring out the mystery ingredient and seeing the different ways that bloggers cooked it!

The 2nd Mystery Club will return this Fall, and I am already thinking of ideas for this very mysterious, seasonal ingredient--or ingredients. The Club will be seasonal, and I'll give notice ahead of time for each event. Let me know if you'd like to play in one of the upcoming games.


Playing the game is easy. Just do what you always do at Foodie Friday. Have fun! This week, while you are browsing the icons this week, see if you can find blogs that are featuring the mystery ingredient/s.


Can you guess what it is?



Okay, I didn't ship lemons to ten bloggers. Nope.
 
 The items are: Whole preserved Meyer farmhouse lemons, lemon sea salt, and Meyer lemon bits in olive oil. The bloggers could use one item, two items, or all three. It was totally up to them!  I cannot wait to see what they've come up with!

I won't say who they are--that would spoil the fun. If you're super busy today and can't play, you can find out who the mystery bloggers are on Monday night, during a special, lemony post, along with the most popular recipes from the past 2 Foodie Fridays.

I've got to say, Meyer lemons are so much better than the lemons at my local grocery. I just couldn't decide what to cook--something exotic? A dessert? What about focaccia?

My husband saw me digging through a Moroccan cookbook, and he blanched a little. Then he requested that I make something "Southern" and deep fried:


The recipe:
Prepare your tilapia fillets by soaking them in lemony brine. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
Season each fillet with sea salt, lemon sea salt, bits of preserved Meyer lemons, freshly ground pepper--and anything else you like.
Set aside.

Meanwhile, put canola oil in a deep, deep pan and heat it to 350 degrees. Prepare a "frying" station.
I used rectangular 8 x 10 storage containers (lids removed). In the first container, add about 1" of flour and season with salt, pepper, lemon salt. In the second container, add 2 cups buttermilk and 1 cup flour. Whisk (do this in a separate bowl and pour into the container).

You'll need a station near the stove. Find a large cookie sheet, which you will line with paper towels, and set it near the frying pan, where your oil has hopefully reached the correct temperature.

Dredge each fillet in flour, then in the batter. Fry fillets on both sides and remove to paper-towel lined tray.

Build a po'boy.



Split a fresh French bread loaf and layer with Meyer Lemon Tartar Sauce (see below for recipe), lettuce, thinly sliced tomatoes, pickles, and a fried fillet.



One bite delivers layers of flavor and texture. Meyer lemons add
a gentle citrus tang and chopped bread-and-butter pickles bring
a touch of sweetness.



Meyer Lemon Tartar Sauce

Mayonnaise (I use Duke's)
fresh lemon juice
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
honey
minced onion
bread and butter pickles, chopped
preserved Meyer lemons, chopped








If you are participating in Foodie Friday,
please take a moment to read the guidelines.
To participate in Foodie Friday, locate the blue Inlinkz icon and follow the directions. The red "x"
will allow you to delete your link if you made an error; the "x" is visible to you only.

For a complete guide to this linky party, click HERE. If you have still have questions, click HERE
for a detailed Foodie Friday tutorial.

** By adding your link to Foodie Friday, you are granting us permission to include a photo of your FF recipe in a feature story.

** Would you like to add your recipes to the "Consuming Passions" group board at Pinterest?
It can be found HERE. We're a small, sociable group; Foodie Friday folks are always welcome to "pin" with us and chat about food. Just leave a comment on one of my recent"pins," so I'll be sure to see it, and I will send you an invitation. Or you can email me.

**I would like to ask pretty please if Pinners will visit the host blogs to pin photographs.

 Thanks for visiting us today, and I hope to see you at the next Mystery Ingredient Club.





Pin It

Social Bookmarking

33 comments:

  1. What yummy looking lemon pictures! Thank you for hosting!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Southern and deep fried is sounding so tasty and satisfying and your Po'boy makes me think of New Orleans! Meyer Lemon Tartar Sauce sounds oh so good! Thanks for letting me play along, I'm salivating and ready to crack open the other two jars to use next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the dishes look delicious! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meyer lemons are so much fun to cook with. I have two meyer lemon trees in our property. I just made preserved lemons. I like meyer lemon so much better than ureka lemons. Meyer lemon cake, lemonade, lemon curd lemon pickle and the list goes on and on. Have fun with your Meyer lemons

    ReplyDelete
  5. first and foremost THANK YOU so much for all our very generous gifts, you certainly went overboard for all of us and i thank you so much for ALL the fun!

    all your lemon pics are beautiful, but what a fun recipe you had! you would think that will would trust you if wanted to think morrocan after all you waltzed them right through lavender week and left them smiling in a purple haze, surely they can trust you with a little golden magic now~

    what a great recipe for all your jars, that lemon salt deep fat fried would be fabulous! thanks so much for including me, i had a wonderful week thinking lemon, we tried so many new and varied food it ain't over yet for me, this weekend we will be trying morrocan tacos, thanks to a prolific southern belle~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michael Lee! Oh, I love lemons and have a lemon tree in the backyard but it only produces around Christmas time. Love all of your beautiful snaps and your game sounds fun.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lemons are one of my favourite ingredients! So so so versatile! Thanks heaps for the link party :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lemon's make everything better. What a fun party, thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love PoBoys, this one looks awesome!
    Thanks so much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for hosting and letting me join in. Your photos are lovely as always. You made me laugh when you told about your husband being a little fearful and wanting something fried. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was so much fun! Thank you for challenging us with preserved lemons. Now I need to make a dessert! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can almost feel the crunch of that fried tilapia Po'boy in my mouth, right now! Brilliant idea to use the Meyer lemon to made the tartar sauce. I shall try that very soon...like TOMORROW!!

    Thank you so very, VERY much for including me in the "Mystery Ingredient Club" & for the very thoughtful & generous gift of lemon STUFF. I was dreaming of various lemon dishes all week long.

    I can't wait to try Sarah's salmon, Kitty's chicken, Mary's rosemary/lemon coffee cake, Debbie's lemon halibut & orzo...etc. Isn't it funny how none of us made the same recipe???
    I thought for sure someone else would do the couscous, besides me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure! I can't wait to try your couscous!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for hosting such a great link party!

    Raven J. True Blue Baking

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michael Lee, thank you so very much for including me in your Mystery Ingredient Club. This was such a fun challenge and I had a great time thinking of creative ways to use your generous gifts.
    Your tilapia po' boy sandwich sounds lemonilicious! I'm craving a bite of it right now. I think all the Mystery Ingredient Club members did an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love lemons and I'll look forward to keeping an eye out for recipes with the mystery ingredients! This week I shared my Quick and Easy Peach and Raspberry (or Blueberry) Cobbler. Thank you for hosting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. yummmm, meyer lemon tartar sauce...so funny about your husband, I know he loved that sandwich!
    This is so much fun, I'm off to go sleuthing~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always have such lovely photography on your blog. Thanks for hosting every Friday.
    Carolyn
    Desire Empire

    ReplyDelete
  18. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

    Thanks for hosting the Mystery Ingredient Club! I am so excited to look through the posted links to find those individuals who are participating. Oh what fun!
    Have a beautiful weekend,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for hosting!! I hope you have a fantastic weekend!

    Hugs,
    Jen @ Yummy Healthy Easy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your sandwich sounds great Michael and it looks like everyone had a blast with the Mystery Ingredient Club! Have a great weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for hosting! I love coming here just to see your pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Meyer lemons - how fun. Even though in the summer I live in a very small town, my market carries bags of Meyer lemons. I was more than shocked when I found them. What a great looking po'boy and the presentation is fantastic. I can't wait to see what the others did with their gift box.

    Thanks for hosting each week and hope you have a lovely weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful photos Michael Lee and what beautiful ingredients. I'd love to be involved in the next Mystery Ingredient Club but there's no need to ship the ingredients to me all the way here to Australia. I could source them myself and even though our seasons are opposite, I'd still love to cook it up. I'm always inspired by what you American girls are cooking no matter what time of the year it is.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your tilapia po' boy will be going on our menu soon! Thank you so much for including me in this mystery ingredient fun!! I had to come back flor a second visit, and I want to try all the mystery ingredient recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love to participate in a future Mystery Ingredient Club - the concepts and recipes are fab!

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great idea of how to kick it up a notch. I just glanced at the participants in this week's linking party but can already see all of the wonderful lemon recipes popping out. I've never seen some of those products. Where on earth did you find them?

    I rarely link as although I cook regularly for my family, I don't usually find it blog worthy but I'd love to participate. Perhaps a mystery ingredient is just the thing I need to kick up my family's fare.

    Love this idea.

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow, did you add 2 more mouthwatering pics, or was my net on the blink and missed those chompable pics?! my stomach is growling already, plus, i just ordered 6 jars of that meyer lemon caramel sea salt sauce, you have created a monstor! its cheaper in shipping directly from them i think ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ahhh, lemon love! And what a great Po Boy! Lucky hubby for sure. :-)

    I've linked up Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes today, which are so easy to make and so good!

    Happy weekend!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lemons are the perfect mystery ingredient! And Meyer lemons - oh my!!! Jain sent me some of them on time and I was in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks a lot for hosting and sharing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my! That tilapia po'boy is calling my name ~ and such a beautiful presentation~ and your photos are stellar!
    (I'm a little late with my post because of the nearby wildfires ~ it's a SMOKE filled topsy-turvy world here right now.)
    I made Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemons and Olives, it's a Tyler Florence recipe ~ I wasn't sure we would *love* it, but it was FABULOUS, and I can highly recommend it. (You don't need a tagine to make the recipe, in fact, I just transferred it to the tagine for serving.)
    I have two more posts coming up this week using your generous gifts of Mystery Ingredient #2 and #3. :o)

    Thank you so much for hosting us Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your poor boy looks delicious! Meyer lemons are hard to find here. I would love to take part next time, if it is something we like! Just post the ingredient, give us time to find it, and those who want to take part can. You shouldn't have to ship it to people!
    We have a sweet spot on the water here, their poor boy is one of my faves. The meyer lemon would be a great addition!

    ReplyDelete

There you are! I'm so glad you're here. Love, MLee xxoo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails