Thursday, February 23, 2012

Foodie Friday: Baileys Irish Cream Cupcakes


Every St. Patrick's Day, I bake simple cupcakes, usually from a mix, but I make up for it by garnishing the beeswax out of them. This year, I wanted to surprise my family with Baileys Irish Cream cupcakes. 

I began looking for recipes, but I felt overwhelmed by the complex steps--well, they were complex for me, a tired slob. My husband, the country doctor, suggested that I look to Dr. Frankenstein for inspiration. With a little luck, couldn't I cobble together a simple, painless recipe?

First, I cleaned my kitchen counters. I always do this because icing baffles me, and I don't want to be distracted. I rolled up my sleeves and began to experiment.
My husband (and Dr. Frankenstein) nodded approvingly when I added Baileys mint-flavored Irish Cream to a box of dark chocolate cake mix. I also threw in white chocolate chips.
So far, so good.
As always, my troubles began when I made the icing. The first batch was runny (but good--my husband abandoned his low-carb diet and licked the bowl), because I foolishly added too much Baileys. The second batch had the right consistency, but when I tried to fit the icing into the itty Super Dooper Icing Kit for Dummies, I hit the wall.
So did the icing.
Great globs of creamy icing flew across my counters and migrated to my hair.
Even though I was a sticky mess, I remembered to add Wilton sprinkles
and homemade green sanding sugar.

Baileys Irish Cream Cupcakes
1 box Duncan Hinz dark chocolate cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups water
white chocolate chips (if desired)
1/4 cup Baileys Irish Cream added to cake mix
4 T Baileys Irish Cream added to icing 
Confectioners' sugar
8 oz cream cheese, softened
Wilton sprinkles
emerald sanding sugar
. . .
Preheat the oven. Place paper liners in 2 cupcake pans. Mix the cake according to directions, adding 1/4 cup Irish cream (be sure to decrease the total amount of water used--if the instructions call for 1 1/4 cup water, add 1 cup water and 1/4 cup Baileys). If you're adding white chocolate chips, gently fold them into the mixture. Spoon the lucious batter into the liners. Bake (18 minutes worked for me).
. . .
After the cupcakes cool, get your big girl panties on and make the icing.
Into the bowl of a KitchenAid mixer, blend 8 oz softened cream cheese, powdered sugar (see below), and Baileys Irish Cream (4 tablespoons). I began with 2 cups of powdered sugar and kept adding it bit by bit until the icing reached the proper spreading consistency. As Rachael Ray says, "Eyeball it."
Ice the cupcakes, taking care not to ruin your freshly cleaned kitchen,
and garnish with sanding sugar and/or shamrock sprinkles.



  

Thank you so much for stopping by Foodie Friday today. Your inspirational recipes make this day so much fun!


This week, please leave a comment and describe your recipe--what made you want to cook it? Would you recommend the recipe for a party? Tell us ALL about it!

Be sure to visit the menu at the Foodie Friday Cafe this Sunday, February 26th. Quite a few entries from this week's Foodie Friday will be in the spotlight. To view last week's menu at the cafe, click HERE.

If you are contributing a recipe to this week's Foodie Friday, locate the blue Inlinkz frog (below, left) and follow the instructions.


If this is your first time to participate in Foodie Friday, or if you aren't sure how to add a permalink, a short tutorial is available. If you are linking a recipe to Foodie Friday, a FF button can be found on the sidebar. If you'd like to add it, simply copy-and-paste the code beneath the button (located on the right-hand sidebar). Happy Recipe Hunting!
























Pin It
Facebook Digg it Stumbleupon Twitter
Social Bookmarking

36 comments:

  1. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

    You are so fun. You made me actually laugh out loud.

    Consider it a new kind of hair conditioner, haha.

    They look delicious and your pictures are scrumptuous too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cupcake sound great Michael! Bailey's is a beautiful thing:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! You aren't alone with the frosting challenge! What we go through for a little cupcake with perky frosting and sprinkles! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, they look good, war wounds don't count, LOL!
    I made yeast doughnuts. I always wanted to try them. Next up is a Polish doughnut called Paczki. My college roommate from Pittsburgh used to bring them back when she went home. I posted a video and recipe for them.
    I used Alton Brown's recipe for the ones I made.
    I was shamed into buying a new Shamrock today after seeing yours. Mine looked anemic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Icing challenged"...join the club!
    This recipe sounds so easy! and delicious!!! Anything with Bailey's has to be tasty! (How much of the Bailey's did you sip while baking?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, Kathleen--war wounds don't count. :-) Jane, someone took too many nips of the Baileys last night and when I started to make the icing, the bottle was empty! I was all set to throttle both suspects, but Bandwidth produced tiny airline-sized bottles of mint Baileys. By this time, I needed a wee tot of something, but the exilir was too precious and all of it went into the batter and icing. :-0

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just going to tell it like it is. I woke up Sunday morning, knowing I wanted to make a dessert to bring to the office for our Fat Tuesday pot luck. I had sprinkles in all the Mardi Gras colors, so I decided on cupcakes. Then I remembered about the sour cream I bought for red velvet cupcakes for Valentine's day that I never made. Purple Velvet Cupcakes came to mind. I thought I was the only one that ever made them. After they were baked, I decided to Google. Sure enough, I found a couple blogs that had purple velvets. I'll always remember these cupcakes...they were a big hit in the office!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum! When I saw the picture of these earlier on your blog, I was hoping you'd post the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I'm not good at making Roses from frosting and thought I could make these fondant roses for my cupcakes and things until I learn how to do it with frosting if I ever do. How to Make a fondant rose is what I have brought. Thanks for hosting. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM!! Those look amazing! I love Baileys:) My contribution to FF is a Wild Rice Pilaf. It is healthy & delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like me trying a fancy frosting! :-) I can't wait to try these cupcakes though....LOVE Bailey's. They are beautiful I must say ~

    Thanks for the info on making your own sanding sugar. I was trying to find that information yesterday but didn't have the time to pursue.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. another recipe I love. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, Michael Lee, I love your photos...mmmm, I want one of those cupcakes right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the recipe. YOu can devise beautiful things. I am NOT creative in the kitchen at all. sadly. XO, P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cupcakes are adorable.. and I love your post. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so pretty, but i rather see the icing in your hair :-)

    they look wonderful, how about adding baileys to the frosting too, i love a double shot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You make even a baking (mis)adventure into such an entertaining read! Not to mention, useful -- with a recipe no less!

    ReplyDelete
  18. waw I like Baileys Irish Cream Cupcakes.So pretty.I want to these cupcakes.


    GCET MBA 2012

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look so yummy.. I want one now!!Please? I linked up a different post today with multiple recipes just for a change! I would most certainly recommend the paella and also the fig salad for a lazy pool day gathering! And both fun to make!

    Veronica
    Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I love your Baileys Irish Cream Cupcakes! So beautiful and festive for St. Patrick's Day! I happened o have a green dish to share, Spinach Pesto Spaghetti w/ Grilled Shrimps. I didn't think of St. Patrick's Day when I made it though. :) Thanks for hosting Foodie Friday! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful cupcakes, and I love the idea of combining chocolate and Bailey's Irish cream! Thank you for sharing your recipe, and for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Didn't know there was such a thing as too much Baileys. Hmmm. Your cupcakes are works of art and the paper liners really rock.

    I've brought a big bowl of southern Pickled Shrimp to the party today. They are super easy to make if you have a little time to let them rest in the refrig. And they are a very nice alternative to the traditional boiled shrimp and red sauce. Plus they're low carb for those of us who are watching our waist, including moi.

    Thanks as always for hosting Foodie Friday. You rock just like your Irish cupcakes.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  23. Break out the Bailey's, and the cupcakes look good too! I am sharing my Rosemary Pork Roast that was created by a morning walk through my winter Herb Garden, and the flavor is amazing. Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, are those cupcakes beautiful!

    I'm sharing Prosciutto Wrapped Haloumi Cheese with a Fennel Apple Salad and 10 Whole Food Snacks That You Can Pack.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Exceptional! As I have found the great recipe to make Baileys Irish Cream Cupcakes. They are really looking with full of taste and deliciousness. I am truly surprised to see them. Thanks for sharing some of most inspiring way to make this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Michelle,
    Your cupcakes, table setting, and photos look spectacular. This week I linked up a spinach and ricotta stuffed Portobello burger. The combo of spinach and ricotta is one of my favorites and using a portobello as a base was not only attractive but also low carb

    ReplyDelete
  27. My recipe, a healthy Sausage, Bean & Greens Gratin, is all about mixing up something tasty, putting it in individual ramekins and coating it with cheese. It's my favorite way to serve a "casserole-type" dish now: no messing serving and a great presentation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful table setting!

    I've added seven layer bars to the link party. This is the first of several attempts to find the right layering order for the most "stable" bar cookies.

    These disappear quickly at potlucks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These cupcakes look delicious! I am pining to make very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. They sound yummy - Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Although my Stir-Fry Recipe might be healthier, your cupcakes look tempting and delicious.

    http://angelgirlpj.blogspot.com/2012/02/stir-fry-recipe-spicy-vegetables-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your cupcakes turned out so pretty, ML! I bought those same sprinkles to make some for Ms. C. & her brothers.

    Today I made broccoli/mushroom/cheddar cheese soup & homemade dilly bread because it was SNOWING! Good soup weather but I am soooo ready for Spring.

    Thank you for hosting FF again.
    Warm hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for hosting! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. anything with baileys is a good idea. anything.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Michael Lee,
    Just stopping back by to thank you for sharing all this wonderful food and your great post with Full Plate Thursday! It is always a pleasure to have you join us. Hope you have a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  36. These images keep circulating on Pinterest and someone message me to post the recipe so I linked it to my blog.

    ReplyDelete

There you are! I'm so glad you're here. Love, MLee xxoo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails